Most people from all over the world, of different ages utilize a computer every day. This could either be at home or work. Sadly, this rise in usage and the vast accessibility of the internet has facilitated the increase in the number of criminal activities which are connected to computers.
Nowadays, the police can study computers impounded when investigations are going on, to gain access to files and important information which could assist in their investigations on crime.
This procedure is called a digital forensic investigation.
About Digital Forensics
- Digital forensics, referred to as mobile phone or computer forensics is a discipline founded on science whose goal is to assist criminal investigations by unveiling important data and files inside computers.
- In the UK, there are private firms which are able to assist the investigation procedure. Their specialized services can help to discover criminal acts like laundering of money, vulgar pictures, hacking, and drug dealing.
- Normal services provided by companies for Digital forensics also include recovery of data previously erased, e-discovery, forensics for mobile phone, cell site examination and secure information destruction.
- The digital forensic companies work together with the police closely and other customers and give them information on whatever evidence they discover.
- This plays a very important part in connecting a defendant to an offence, thereby helping the prosecution. Police use digital evidence to help them to prosecute a number of people who have abused computer technology.
- These individuals might include hackers, conmen, terrorists or pedophiles. A few sectors in which digital forensics can assist is law enforcement, criminal defense, the corporate sector, public sector and legal aid.
- Depending on client’s needs, the process which is implemented can be tailored. Some recommended proceedures can be found at the department of justice’s web site.
Benefits of Digital Forensics to the Police
Cases of Adultery
Online chats or text messages (SMS) are normally used to organize meetings and provide secret interactions to escape suspicion from the spouse.
- It is normally possible to find out whether a document was changed and when this happened. There is always an electronic copy available, unless a typewriter was used to produce the document.
- Additionally, Microsoft Word, which is the most popular word processor which is a section of the Microsoft office suit, embeds Meta Information in every document.
- This Meta information can avail important data like the author’s identity and the computer used to compose the document. This also applies to applications for Microsoft Excel spreadsheet.
Following a Suspect
When a suspect is being tailed it would be a big advantage to know before embarking on the assignment, where the suspect visited previously. This may sound a bit far- fetched, but is possible.
This is made more possible if the suspect traveled by car and utilized a GPS (Global Positioning System). Some latest enhancements in Digital Forensics enable the retrieval of data from GPS systems.
Cases of Harassment
In case a client is being harassed through the phone or email, a Forensic Examiner can keep records of incoming phone calls from mobile phones and produce them as evidence.
Each email sent from a particular source to a particular destination leaves data embedded in this mail. This data is known as the email header which the forensic examiner studies and finds out the origin from the IP address from which it has come from.
For more investigation data on digital forensics, these firms have many case studies and resources which are found on their website.
People who require the services of computer forensics can communicate with a team member by filling out a contact form online. They can also call one of their skilled staff members.